How to start a day-care centre
Looking to start a day-care centre? Follow our steps below to make sure it's set up correctly and you're fully compliant.
Step 1: Register your company Your business should be registered as a (Pty) Ltd at the CIPC department.
Step 2: COID Your day-care centre should be registered at the workmen's compensation fund to ensure that your employees are covered for any injuries. You will receive a letter of good standing from the COID department which is a requirement when registering as an ECD facility.
Step 3: Register as an ECD facility Register your company at your local department of social development or municipal office as an early childhood development (ECD) facility.
Here are a few insider tips you should take note of when registering as an ECD facility:
- You must submit a business plan when registering as an ECD facility that contains the following:
- Business hours
- Fee structure
- Day-care plan
- Staff composition
- Disciplinary policy
- The department will also request the following documents:
- Make sure your building plans are up to date as they will be reviewed by the department of social development / local municipality.
- A Health certificate will be required by the department of social development / local municipality.
- The Department of Social Development regularly sends officials to assess your premises.